Frequently Asked Questions
- How does an Invisible Fence system work outdoors? Very simply, a wire is installed around the perimeter of your property, establishing your pet's Invisible Boundary®. A transmitter, usually placed in your shed, garage or outbuilding sends a radio signal along the wire. The radio signal is picked up by your pet's Computer Collar®, which emits a warning sound when your pet approaches the Invisible Boundary®. Proper training is critical to ensure that your pet understands and stays within the established boundaries. During the training process, your Professional Pet Trainer will introduce the customised static correction to your pet which reinforces the boundaries of your property and tells your pet clearly where they can and cannot go.
- Does it REALLY work? Yes, it really does work! We’ve kept over two million dogs and cats safe at home with a 99.5% success rate for nearly 40 years. Many of our customers were initially worried that Invisible Fence® Brand wouldn’t work for their pet, but have found that it really does work and have shared their experience with countless other pet owners.
- Is an Invisible Fence® Brand system safe for my dog/cat? Yes, an Invisible Fence® Brand system is safe and humane. It is highly recommended by vets, professional dog trainers, behaviourists and other pet experts.
- Can I take my dog for a walk now that he is trained to the Invisible Fence® Brand system? We encourage you to take your dog for a walk! However, before doing so, we recommend that he is completely trained to the Invisible Fence® Brand system and all the flags have been removed, which usually takes about 2-3 weeks. We do offer a "walk off" training lesson to teach your pet how to leave the property for a walk. You should follow the same routine every time you take your dog for a walk. We recommend you follow this routine:
- Walk your dog up to the edge of the boundary line.
- Tell him to "Sit." Tell him to "Wait."
- Put on the collar he normally wears when walking on a lead.
- Attach a short lead to this collar.
- Remove his Invisible Fence® Brand Computer Collar® and leave it behind (which will avoid any confusion from hearing the tone).
- Then walk him across the boundary with a clear "Ok, let's go."
After you return to the garden (in the same place you left the garden), test your dog to make sure that he understands that when his Computer Collar® is on he cannot leave the garden. The routine you should follow when you return to your garden is:
- Bring your dog back into the safe area at the same place you left the garden.
- Put the Computer Collar® on your dog and remove the other collar and the lead attached to it.
- Act like you are going to leave the garden again. Do not say anything.
- If your dog follows you he will be corrected by the Invisible Fence® Brand system for trying to leave. The correction he receives reinforces the idea that he can safely leave the garden only when a specific routine is followed.
Computer Collar® FAQs
- How tight should my pet’s Computer Collar® be around their neck? The collar should be snug enough to slide only one finger between a correction post and your pet’s skin. Remember to adjust the fit of the collar as your pet’s coat, weight, and age change. Your pet’s coat may change from season to season.
- Is the Invisible Fence® Brand Computer Collar® waterproof? Yes, with an Invisible Fence® Brand Power Cap® battery in place, the Computer Collar® is waterproof and can be submersed in water up to 10 feet. If the nylon collar strap becomes wet, it is recommended that it be removed from your pet and be allowed to air dry before replacing the collar on your pet’s neck.
- What is the size of the Computer Collar®? Our MicroLite® Computer Collar is so small it weighs LESS than 1 ounce (28 grams)! Measurements are approximately 1.75" wide x 1" tall x 1" deep.
Power Cap® FAQs
- How do I replace the battery in my pet’s Invisible Fence® Brand Computer Collar®?
- Use a small, thin coin to remove the Power Cap® battery from the Computer Collar®. Insert the coin in the slot on top of the Power Cap® and turn it 45 degrees counter-clockwise. Do not push down while turning. The Power Cap will rotate while the spring inside will push the Power Cap® out of the Computer Collar’s® battery chamber.
- Install a new Power Cap® by lining up the lugs on the bottom of the Power Cap® with the grooves in the sides of the Computer Collar’s® battery chamber. Make sure the metal tabs on the bottom of the Power Cap® are not bent. Place the Power Cap® into the chamber while gently, but firmly, turning it clockwise 45 degrees with your fingers.
- Can I use the Invisible Fence® Brand indoor system for my cat? Yes! Our Shields® Indoor and Outdoor Solutions work great for both dogs and cats.
- Does the Invisible Fence® Brand system work for cats? Yes! Cats can be successfully trained to use the Invisible Fence® Brand system, both outdoors and indoors. Our featherweight MicroLite™ Computer Collar® is the smallest and most advanced collar available. Weighing in at just one ounce it’s easily worn by cats.
Indoor Solutions FAQs
- Does the Invisible Fence® Brand system work indoors? Yes! Our Shields® Avoidance Solutions work with the same Invisible Fence® Brand Computer Collar® that your pet wears outdoors. The Shields® Indoor Solution is a small, wireless 5-inch disc that can be placed anywhere that you’d like to keep your pet away from. The pet free zone can be set from 2" in diameter up to 12."
- Can I use the Invisible Fence® Brand indoor system for my cat? Yes! Our Shields® Indoor Solutions work great for both dogs and cats.
- Can I use the Invisible Fence® Brand indoor system to separate pets? Yes! When used in conjunction with our new MicroLite™ Computer Collars®, our Shields® Indoor Solutions can be customised for multiple pets. You can keep one pet outside while allowing another to enter, you can separate food bowls, or you can even keep a certain pet off the couch – the options are endless.
- Can the boundary wire be installed along an existing fence? Yes! Invisible Fence® Brand system boundary wire can be installed along an existing fence for reinforcement from digging, jumping, or getting out of an open gate. Our Pet Safety Professionals can aid you in the design of your system.
- Can you install the boundary wire through water? Yes, our Certified Technicians can install boundary wire through lakes, streams or creeks to keep your pet away from the water, or only allowing them to enter the shallow sections.
- How do you run the boundary wire across my driveway? Depending on the type of driveway you have (concrete, asphalt, gravel, brick), the method changes. Our Certified Technicians have experience installing wire across all driveway surfaces.
- How long does the wire last? Invisible Fence® Brand boundary wire is a direct burial grade wire and has a life expectancy of at least 27 years left undisturbed in the ground.
- How much power does the Invisible Fence® Brand outdoor system use? Similar to a 5-watt night light, about £10 per year.
- Will a power failure affect the Invisible Fence® Brand system? When the power is out, your Invisible Fence® Brand system will continue to operate with the optional battery back-up.
- Can I take my Invisible Fence® Brand system with me when I move? Yes! Bring your Invisible Fence® Brand transmitter and Computer Collar® with you to your new home and contact us at 01787 269111, or email us to install new boundary wire, flag your property and re-train your pet(s) to their new boundaries.
- How can I fix a wire break? Request a service appointment on-line, by calling us at 01787 269111, or email us. At your service appointment. Our Certified Technician will test your entire system including the control panel, Computer Collar®, indoor avoidance units, and underground wire. We will provide a complete system analysis, make any necessary repairs, and reintroduce your pet to the Invisible Fence® Brand system.
- How do we add a new pet to our existing Invisible Fence® Brand system? Contact us at 01787 269111, or email us to purchase another Computer Collar® also schedule a professional trainer to come to your home, work with your new pet and re-flag your property.